The renewal of certificates is voluntary, on the initiative of the citizen and completely free. The holder of the electronic DNI can proceed to renew the certificates associated with its DNIe, if the state of the same is one of the following:
- If you were revoked at the request of the citizen.
- By expiration.
To renew certificates, the incumbent will go to an electronic DNI update, located in an office of issuing(More information in subparagraph POINT FOR UPDATING THE DNIE-PAD). It is necessary, therefore, the physical presence of the holder (it is not possible to do so through Internet). There, and after authentication by the card and the fingerprint captured during the issuance of DNIe, you can make the renovation process of certificates of a fast and simple way:
- The incumbent upon the PIN entered correctly, go to the “screen information about the content of your DNI electronic”, at the bottom can display the status of their certificates. In his case, on the left shows a box "renew certificates”. If you select "renew certified” once again asks the PIN and then the presentation of the fingerprint.
- If the result is positive proceeds to the renewal of certificates. This process lasts approximately five minutes. It is important not to withdraw document the card reader until the end of the process, because the DNIe might become unusable.
* When it is not possible to obtain fingerprinting of any of the fingers, the citizen must request the renewal in a position of issuance served by an official.
* * In the case that has been more than5years since the initial identification of the citizen, the renewal through the points for updating the DNIe require the prior indemnification of citizen before an officer of the office of issue.
It is not necessary to request an appointment to renew certificates.
You can consult additional information on the electronic certificates through www.usatudni.es/dnie/que-es ,www.dnielectronico.es/obtencion_del_dnie/certificados.html and www.cert.fnmt.es.